Thursday, January 27, 2011

I learned something valuable today!

Today I was writing to chapter 13 and I was going at it pretty good. Then I checked my blogger. A blog by Poppet really caught my eye. Even though it was on rejection, I did learn something from it! Clumpy sentences! What is a clumpy sentence? Well, here is Poppet's example:

John saw that he had to go to the bar and get himself and Lucy a drink, but he knew that that was an impossible task through the crowd all around them.

That my friends is considered a clumpy sentence and what I got from the blog, it is a big no-no! Okay, lesson learned. However, what does a good sentence look like? Well, once again here is an example from Poppet:

John saw the bar through throngs of people and postponed getting a drink for Lucy and himself.

Now that is a sentence! So, I went through what I had written today and saw several clumpy sentences. I just looked on in horror for a moment and then tightened my writer's belt! I am going to fix this! I saw what could possibly get me rejected and I knew I needed fix it pronto! So, with water in hand and pretzels in the other, I scanned the latest chapter.

I sighed often at how many times I used clumpy sentences. I hung my head in shame and then began the process of fixing this err of mine! I wasn't going to let this get me down nor was I going to let this beat me! I am determined to write this story and get published.

Any way, the moral of the story is. Do research into HEALTHY and GOOD writing skills. Then use those learned skills to polish your work BEFORE seeking out an agent and/or editor/publisher!

Thanks Poppet! I learned something new today and I am going to use it to my advantage!

1 comment:

  1. You make me such a happy Poppet :D I'm so pleased I could help. I hope you read my other blog too on things to avoid. And things which matter when creating a novel.

    http://authorpoppet.wordpress.com/2011/01/25/my-take-on-editing-a-novel/

    Have a fab weekend, and thanks for blogging about my blog (it makes me seriously happy)

    x

    ReplyDelete