Saturday, April 30, 2011

Alabama and Tornadoes

Okay, for those who don't know, I live in Alabama. Wednesday was one of the worst storm outbreaks Alabama has had in a very long time. For those of you with power over the last few days... maybe you have seen the destruction? However, nothing can really describe the total annihilation of some towns. Such as Hackleburg and Tuscaloosa. Just to name a couple. People were scared and worried about family in other towns. Due to some of the cell towers being hit and regular phone lines being down.

Fortunately I was not hit by any Tornadoes, but I was without power a few days. I only saw glimpses of the destruction before loosing power. Then a few more when I got power back. As phones returned, people were regaling me horror stories of the help they offered in the places hit the hardest.

One woman I knew pulled a 12 year old boy out, dead, from a ditch. She said she was there over 2 hours and when that happened. She couldn't do it any more. The site of a young boy, now lost, was more than she could stomach. I feel if I was in her place I would have broke down and cried my eyes out. Before puking my guts out. For the simple fact such a young life was cut so short.

So yes, it is a very sad day in Alabama. Weeks, MONTHS of reconstruction will begin and towns will be rebuilt, but nothing will ever replace the hole that the weather left. Over 200 people are dead and 100s more missing.

I am just thankful to be alive and able to see my family. Also, my prayers and heart goes out to those hit the hardest by these storms.

1 comment:

  1. Because of everyone talking about the wedding here i had not heard much about what happened in America.I did not realise it was so bad. My thoughts are with you.About a hundred years ago I spent a year in Georgia and spent some time in Alabama.

    ReplyDelete